Monday, December 14, 2009

A little taste of Christmas

I am currently driving across Nevada on my way home for Christmas and I know if I don't post this now it just won't happen this year.
So... here is from a few weeks back
The Nutcracker

From the looks of me and my current profession you would never know that as a little girl I was a ballerina and thought I would be Clara / the Sugar Plum Fairy one day (even though I was designated to all the "core" rolls when Brooke and I played).

It all comes from Robyn's devotion to Utah Regional Ballet and Brooke and I following in suit as little minions. But from as long as I can remember the Nutcracker has been a Christmas tradition EVERY year. The tradition when we were little entailed Nutcracker sweats and several viewings of the performance to see out older sister. And for two years I was lucky enough to be a 'mademoiselle' (and still remember the choreography)

Anyway... it is just Christmas to me and I was dying last year to attend the birth place and orginal Nutcracker but it didn't happen. This year bet you bottom dollar....

We met up with some friends and watched the fabulous performance at War Memorial Opera House. The founder of SF ballet and orginal choreogrpaher of the American version, William Christensen, also founded Ballet West and brought the Nutcracker to Utah. I actually remember him attending one of my own performances as a mademoiselle :)


Anyway, it was fabulous. A real production and though similar to what I grew up with, different in a good way. For instance, it is set in turn-of-the-century SF!

Nate even enjoyed it (they kept it strictly to 2 hours) It put us in the Christmas spirit AND I bought my first nutcracker :)




2 comments:

Pam said...

J-E-A-L-O-U-S!!! And had you chosen to pursue ballet rather than cheer, you most certainly would have been Clara for URB. Jackie loved you! Hurry home! XOXO

kennan said...

first and foremost.... i may have never joined URB but i know the choreography better than anyone.