Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Christmas 2011

Just one month later.
Christmas this year was an unusual one.
Magical and heartsick all in the same 24 hours.
I woke up the 24th feeling blue because Nate jumped out of bed at 6 am to head to work and Brig and I had no fun Christmas Eve plans. And from my experience, it is the lack of planning something festive that makes me feel blue. And also from my experience, if I'm waiting for a big ole' festive family affair I tend to wait a long time and and am some what disappointed. So after Brig woke up and we watched some of the Polar Express, I made a delicious breakfast for the two's of us and decided we needed to make Santa some cookies.



We opted for ginger bread men and it was the first time I let Brig help me cook.
He loved it. He was a fantastic floury mess but now helps me cook in the kitchen several time a week.


Of course he got the first man out of the oven and frosted and decorated it himself.
All while still being a floury mess.

Then Nate got home. Brig took a nap. I started getting naggy about doing something "festive" for Christmas eve. 
And then... I got the call.
And all those worries, bugged at's, not festive enough's, meant absolutely nothing.
Everything was put in perspective and my heart pined to be with my mom and family 800 miles away.

The rest the day was spent low key at home. We took Brig to McDonalds to burn some Christmas Eve energy, dropped some ginger bread men off to Bryce and Lisa, then although it didnt really feel right, I prepared our seafood feast because well, it was all there!
We ate, opened Christmas jammies, went and looked at a few Christmas lights so Brig could "oohhhhh" for us (He ohhh's and ahhh's for all christmas lights), then came home to leave Santa his cookies and put a little man to bed.


However, when I went to put the cookies and milk down, Brig thought I had made him a picnic by the fireplace and helped himself


I really couldn't help but laugh and snap a few


So sorry Santa....


We'll try the concept again next year.

And then Christmas morning came with all it's magic.
I took on a few new traditions this year, one of which is giving Brig a book in his bed Christmas morning. David Mccullough said something about that being one of the reasons he is a "reader" and comes from a family of readers. Well, Brig needs all the help he can get in a 50/50 house so he got "The Polar Express" wrapped in his crib Christmas morning. Listening to him try figure out why a present was in his bed was a good 10 min entertainment. We then went in to get him and he guiltily handed me the still wrapped present when I got him (wrapped presents have been a hands off thing). Then the magic just grew and grew. He thought the book was amazing, then the first piece of candy in the stocking, then there were toys in the stocking, then presents (well trains to be specific and a DIY train table that near cost me my wits). Watching the magic was well, magical. It was a lazy day, lots of food, a very naughty pet during the one hour of church, and an over cooked prime rib.
And then it was over. 
But we can definitely report it was a merry Christmas.

1 comment:

Eileen said...

I almost always end up in tears after reading your posts, so tender and sweet. Your are a good Mommy Paige!