Thursday, May 31, 2012

The French Laundry


What really should be a once in a life time experience, I have experienced twice this year.
Dinner at the French Laundry.
This would be the second occasion.



This occasion was for Greg's big 4-0 birthday.
But let's give the French Laundry her proper introduction first.
Anthony Bourdain claims it is "the best restaurant in the world, period" (enough said for me I love that man) but for those Bourdain skeptics out there, Restaurant Magazine awarded it "best Restaurant in the world" in  03' & 04'. 
They book out 60 days in advance, and book the 60th day out within the first 10 minutes of opening each day. The meal itself is a 9 course menu which is changed everyday and is never the same. In short, a culinary experience of a lifetime.
And in short again, my husband is amazing and secured 3 reservations this year,
one of which was for the lovely occasion of Greg's birthday :)


The French Laundry has all this hype ($270 a plate will do that) But I was so pleasantly surprised at how non-de-script and understated everything was. Everything was immaculate and perfect, but understated.


One day, my backyard will look this good.


I wasn't going to go being 39 weeks and it being about a 45 minute drive and a 5 hour meal but bottom line I just didn't want to be left out! I felt great that day, had even planted flowers, so dinner turned into a no brainer. The only downside, I was a boat next to these beautiful women. 
Alas, but only 48 hours more of boat-hood.


The handsomest of men.
I had to ask Nate after this pic if it was difficult being the most attractive brother.


It is a culinary experience of a lifetime. They have perfected the art of fine dining. Their dinner service is like a beautiful symphony. You simply want to observe as they lay plate after plate down simultaneously with perfect precision. There is nothing on the menu that I think in my mind "mmm I want to go back to French Laundry for _____" yet everything was delicious and interesting to the last bite. You never feel overstuffed or underfed just simply comfortably content.
Again, a culinary experience of a lifetime.
And if you need reservations? That guy in the picture above can make it happen.


Lastly, Thank you Greg and Carie for treating us all to the French Laundry.
I'll celebrate a birthday with you any year ;)

2 comments:

Pam said...

So, so lucky you are!

Chatty Natty said...

Now who's the mean one??