Sunday, June 3, 2012

brotherly love


It is amazing how innate it was for Brig to have an affinity for this baby brother. I'm sure every parent anxiously awaits the introduction. In the hospital it took Brig about 3 minutes to show his affinity.
In that 3 minutes he came in, saw mom, showed me his train, glanced at the baby, tried to head out into the hall, drove his train along the window-sill then Nannie unwrapped little brother and Brig was sold. On the toes to be specific. 
Since then he has also been come to be known as the brother assassin.
A happy, I love my brother assassin; but a brother assassin.


I loved his immediate concern for the baby. With the arrival of the baby he learned a new phrase "he's sad" and was very concerned when he was sad. At 6 weeks, he sleeps through the "he's sad" moments but he did have them! He was ecstatic when baby got in the car with us to come home and loves when brother sits on him to watch shows. He keeps trying to figure out how to play with brother, which is why he is a brother assassin. His ideas include:
-vigorously shaking baby's arm
-trying to snuggle with baby by rolling on him
-taking baby's binkie
-playing "this little piggy" with very little toes and very hard tickles
 -kissing brother on the mouth cause who doesn't love that rooting reflex?
-trying to give brother underdogs in his swing
-trying to climb in the crib with brother
-removing any shoes, socks, hat, or mittens from baby
-pointing out body parts, such as eyes, with poking
-mimicking "charlie bit my finger"

I think those are good highlights of his assassination attempts


But he genuinely loves this baby and baby is never far from his mind.
If I don't have baby with me within a few minutes Brig is asking "where's baby?"
And when we're leaving, he always checks if baby is coming along
  (it's really disconcerting to Brig when I put Dex in the sling at the store, he can't see him and thinks I'v left him in the car)
Oh Briggy, I knew there was a reason while I was pregnant I kept saying to you "Just hold on, I'm trying to get a brother here for you"

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh poor Dex...he will however survive. Perhaps not without a few bumps and bruises, but he will survive.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eileen said...

This post brought back memories of Chris and Mark. Being only 10 1/2 months apart, it took Chris awhile to figure out his new little brother! But they are such good friends now and I know Brig and Dex will be also! Love all your posts Paige.