Sunday, October 16, 2011

Maui

Or
MAORI
as I kept saying 
to Nate's chagrin :)
(more on maori here)
We made it to 5 years though and it was time for a Nate and Paige vacation.
We tentatively had planned on going to Hawaii for our anniversary for a long time and really the trip remained pretty tentative until we actually checked into our hotel in Maui.
The date.. tentatively changed, our babysitter... tentatively changed, our flight and transportation... tentatively changed, our destination... tentatively changed, our hotel... tentatively changed.
But our trip was a great success.
 I don't really care to leave Brig again, but a great success.


My king of the world made this whole trip really quite fantastic. Even though the whole trip was quite "tentative" I have absolute confidence in Natey's travel agent skills. Really he has a knack for it. 
Even if the 10 pm drive to the airport the night before to get my mom, which ended up in a broken down car, renting a new car, following the old car being towed the 90 miles to Santa Rosa and not getting home till 3 am only to have to jump back into the rental car to drive to SFO at 5 am for our "stand by" flight to either Maui or Honolulu was a little stressful.


Our first whole day in Maui we attempted the road to Hanna.
It was beautiful and we really enjoyed "Maui Revealed" little secrets and felt like quite the adventures.
However, pregnant Paige got carsick and hungry and tired and by the time we got to Hanna I really was not pleasant.
Luckily, Nate knows a thing or two about me after 5 years and put food in me as soon as we arrived.


The road was long and slow but really had beautiful views.


Three bears


Really kind of surreal being so close to big beautiful things like this.


Nate got in every pool we found.
I did too... but turns out when I get nervous about foreign/cold waters I dog paddle.
Nate was bugged when I hesitated getting in then just laughed me to shame once I did.
What can is say? unfortunately I'm really not that adventuresome.


I was instructed to take a lot of pictures of Nate in the waterfalls.


Particularly when he was under the fall. 
Let me just say, that water wasn't coming down lightly.


That night we participated in our worst investment of the trip.
 Luau's are lame.
The food was gross, I mean buffets rarely are good, the entertainment was long and by the time they got to the fire dancing it really wasn't that cool and we left early.
BUT
we were seated at the table directly behind Rob Thomas and he had a buddy who was a Russell Brand twin. 


Our hotel was amazing.
beautiful grounds, open lobby, beach front
we got a great rate for our ocean view room but really when you spend that much money on your accommodations you kinda wanna make it worth your while.
So we did.
We spent most our time at the "adult only" pool with our private cabana but everyday we had to make our way to kiddie land for Nate to ride the slides.



This area made feel very cruel for not having Brig with me...



Although my heart was breaking the whole trip cause I was missing my boy
It really was splendid.
Sleeping in, inhaling books, eating when and where we wanted(except for the fact that pregnancy made nothing taste good), laying out, taking naps.
Splendid.


beggers can't be choosers here when it comes to photography.
I don't love swimming in the ocean, but I could let the waves wash over my feet all day.


Nate likes to play.
Of course I joined him and we rolled around in the sand and waves like it was our first time in the ocean and we were covered in sand by the time the sun set.


view from our room...


more sliding :)



This is the run when he made it all the way to the end.


Ah... and our open lobby.


I am in love with these trees.
Not even sure what kind they are but they were magical.



It was the longest and shortest 5 nights.
My mom made it all okay though. I can't believe I thought I could leave Brig with anyone besides her!
She was a lifesaver and so flexible with all our crazy travel plans.
Coming home was even better than leaving and I have come to realize that I have lost my wonder for the world for a time. We saw all these beautiful and majestic vistas but nothing even comes close to comparing to my boy. He is all the wonder I have for the world. Who would have thought?
It took Brig a good week to forgive me on returning home. He loved daddy more than me for that whole week and the fact that daddy had to go to work made life for me a little tough. And I think Nannie was way more fun than I am too so it took him awhile to realize the party was well, just a party.
All in all? My experience is that traveling never goes as planned. But that is part of the fun.
I am so glad we did this though with baby #2 on the way who knows when we'll get another break for the two of us. 

Maybe 10 years?


4 comments:

Chatty Natty said...

Ok...so many things on this post. First, funny how the wee-ones alter our "alone time" eh? Second, the first pic of Nate at the waterfall - woah he's looking lean, BUT you tell him he looks like he has "relief society" arms:) (I may have just given him a complex now, huh?) Third, Hawaii looks heavenly right now - so lush and green. Fourth, the water slide pictures are the best. I can just see Natey but at least you don't have to pass on the nudey ladies to get to the kiddie area...or maybe you did. Lastly, I'm glad your mom was able to take care of Brig for your first big getaway. Maggie informed me the other day - out of the blue - that she loves Grammie more than me. Watchout because when Brig talks I'm sure he will say something similar to you.

Jayson and Julianne said...

I had no idea you guys were doing this. You had mentioned it in August, but I am happy that you went through with it. I second Nat, Mr. Nathan is looking awfully thin, and you look darling with your tiny tummy. (again I am so excited for you and your new little babe) Hawaii looks amazing! hopefully we'll get to go soon...
It is high time that Jayson and I make a CA trip to visit everyone. I will work on that. Until then, give little boy Brig a kiss from his aunty.

Cassandra Potter Kemp said...

I love Maui, I am so jealous of you!!!!??? The road to Hana is a beast, so I am proud you made it there pregnant!

Jannie said...

I love reading your blogs - you have such a way with words so it is like you are just talking out loud (and you are so funny!). I'm glad you and Nate were able to have such a fun trip. I love seeing that Nate will always be the little boy I met when Taylor and I were first dating (just in a bigger body!). Hope you are feeling well. Tell Brig his Boise cousins miss him!